Friday, December 7

Showing their colours

Eighteen differently designed fleece scarves hung on a clothesline, each a poignant reminder of women beaten and broken.

But the messages on the purple scarves are also a symbol of the courage of women who have survived violence.

"Rape breaks my body and my heart," one abused woman wrote on her scarf, with a broken heart made of red felt attached to it.

On another scarf, a woman tells her abuser there was no excuse or justification for his behaviour.

"I chose to live without abuse," the woman wrote. "I chose to protect my child from abuse. I chose a different life."

The scarves displayed Thursday at Province House are among 300 designed by abused women from across Nova Scotia as part of the Transition House Association of Nova Scotia’s Clothesline Project.

FULL STORY: Nova Scotia News

No comments: