Thursday, October 25

Pay equity not a reality in Ontario, says group

Advocates for women's rights say the provincial government is failing women on the pay equity front.

January will mark the 20th anniversary of the province's Pay Equity Act but little progress has been made, says the head of the Equal Pay Coalition.

"Regardless of their occupation or education, most Ontario women continue to be paid less than men because they do women's work. Women on average still earn only 71 per cent of what men earn, leaving a 29 per cent pay gap. This is the best evidence that pay equity in Ontario is far from being achieved nor has it been maintained as the act requires," Mary Cornish, a lawyer and chair of the Equal Pay Coalition, said in a news release.


No comments: